Cotton grown in Macon County is also ginned in Macon County. Cotton grown in central Alabama is also ginned in Macon County, in Shorter, at the largest cotton gin in the central Alabama at the Milstead Farm Group. Here’s another agriculture fact: 8 percent of the cotton ginned in Alabama is ginned in Shorter.
The Shorter-based cotton gin ships ginned cotton all over the world. Since 1998, its production capacity has been a huge asset for the farming community in central Alabama.
The slogan at Milstead Farm Group is “Providing value added services to producers in Central Alabama.”
It’s that same mantra that company officials say is why they, too, support the T-100 jet trainer project because Leonardo DRS will do that as well, provide value added production services to build the best jet trainer in the world, says Milstead Farm Group president Shep Morris.
“In our business, our goal is to create value for our loyal cotton producers from across central Alabama who gin their cotton with us every year,” Morris points out.
“Leonardo DRS’ goal is the same in their aerospace business, to produce value, quality and the best jet trainers for America’s F-35 pilots. We commend Leonardo DRS for choosing Tuskegee and historic Moton Field to manufacture the best jet trainers for our country, in our country.”
Morris added, “Like Leonardo DRS, we realize that our services to our producers are incredibly important. To make sure that all of our customers are being ginned in a timely manner, we have made substantial improvements to increase the capacity of our gin. We have added a new gin line to increase the productivity of the gin plant.
“I’m convinced Leonardo DRS’ T-100 will do the same thing with their jet trainer. They will bring their best team to make the world’s best engine, simulator and trainer in a timely manner at a 21st century manufacturing facility in Tuskegee,” says Morris. “The T-100 is truly a game-changer for our community.”
Following is the ongoing list of groups and organizations that have passed Resolutions of Support for the T-100 Tuskegee/Leonardo-DRS jet trainer project:
• Moore&Davis Nursery
• Tallapoosa County Commission
• Harris Barrett School and Alumni
• The People’s Funeral Home
• Star Mindingall Water Authority
• Tuskegee Institute High School Class of 1976
• Tuskegee Institute High School Class of 1974
• Alabama Funeral Directors and Morticians Association, Inc.
• Golden Life Center Ministry of Greater Saint Mark Missionary Baptist Church
• Alabama State Leadership Conference of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.-Alpha Xi Zeta Chapter, Tuskegee
• McKenzie’s Funeral Home, Inc.
• Alabama League of Municipalities
• Aviation Council of Alabama
• Friends of Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site
• Stoneage Mass Reunion
• Macon County Republican Party
• Tuskegee Institute High School Class of 1970
• Town of Franklin
• Town of Shorter
• AMEA, Alabama Municipal Electric Authority
• World Conference of Mayors
• Historic Black Towns and Settlements Alliance (HBTSA)
• Town of Notasulga
• Macon County Farmers Federation (Executive Board)
• Macon County Chapter, Alabama New South Coalition
• Macon County Democratic Conference, an Affiliate of the Alabama Democratic Conference
• Tuskegee Historic Preservation Commission
• Macon County-Tuskegee Public Library Board of Trustees
• First Friday Night Supper Club at the Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center
• Loretta’s University Cleaners
• Tuskegee National Alumni Association
• Tuskegee University Local Alumni Club
• Alabama County Commission Association
• Utilities Board of Tuskegee (UBT)
• Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
• Tuskegee University Alumni Club
• Macon County Commission
• Macon County Board of Education
• City of Tuskegee
• National Bar Association
• The Tuskegee News
• Alabama House of Representatives
• Macon County Economic Development Authority
• Alabama Senate
• Governor Kay Ivey
• Alabama Commerce Department